Southern Dharma is seeking 1-3 individuals to join us on site between June and August of 2021. Summer residents are asked to commit to six weeks or longer of practice, personal time, and service to the Center.
Each summer resident will be expected to complete one or more personal projects designed to benefit the Center and/or the Dharma, in addition to supporting ongoing residential community activities (cleaning, cooking, facilities maintenance, groundskeeping) in line with their physical capacities and skills.
Experience in self-guided meditation practice and community living are required.
There is no set fee for participation in this program, though dana will be gratefully accepted. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Ideal candidates for this opportunity will:
* Be committed meditation practitioners
* Be available to live on site at Southern Dharma for a minimum of 6 weeks between June and August 2021 (longer stays preferred)
* Be offered free room and board for the duration of the residency
* Choose one or more specific projects of interest (either from the sample list or of one’s own creation) that benefit the Center or the Dharma to work on for the duration of the residency
* Plan to offer an average of ~10 hours per week focused on the selected project (though weekly hours may vary and cumulative hours will be considered)
* Plan to offer an additional ~10 hours per week on community support, e.g. cooking, cleaning, mowing and weed eating, etc. depending on their ability & interest
Sample project list:
- Researching up-and-coming dharma teachers for future retreat teachers
- Facilities/grounds projects - carpentry, grounds tending, etc.
- Kitchen projects - food preservation, improving meal prep and serving systems, etc.
- Evaluating available racial justice-based curricula for sanghas and retreat centers
Interested in becoming one of Southern Dharma’s Summer Residents? Fill out the interest form here.
Finalists will be invited to interview with the staff. Southern Dharma is committed to creating an inclusive community of individuals of different backgrounds, gender identities, races, sexual orientations, abilities, and ages.